Welcome to the AFL- the Australian Rules Football League- on DraftKings and it premiers tomorrow morning with a 5:40am (EST) lock.
This is a sport that is relatively new to most DFS players. Disclaimer- we are not experts at Australian Rules Football but we take pride in our ability to find and organize data to develop strong lineup builds no matter what the sport is. So let's have some fun here and see what the AFL is all about..
Kick (3 pts)- They can "drop punt", "snap" the ball so it goes sideways , "banana" away from the body or a "torpedo" which is like an NFL spiral kick. The ball can also be kicked while on the ground, "soccer off the ground."
Mark (3 pts)- A completed catch of a ball
Handball (2 pts)- Passing the ball to a teammate with a clenched fist
Ruckman- The tallest player, like an NBA center, whose job it is the win ruck contests. Ruck contests are like jump balls in basketball called "ball up"
Defenders- They play against the opposition forward and defend their goal
Midfielders- Possess the ball more than any other player, the playmakers
- Key-Forwards- The tall offensive players. They mark the ball high and kick from all types of angles
- Crumbing-Fowards- Quick and small; avoid tackles to score
- Tackles are key. Good tacklers make up to 10 tackles a game (4 pts apiece)
- The Ruckman that wins the "hit out" or jump ball receives a point. A good Ruckman will win up to 35 "hit outs" a game.
- 90-100 points is an elite score. These usually come from the midfielders.
Richmond vs Collingwood (Round 2)
- Jordan De Goey, COFC($6,200) Budding superstar had 18 kicks, 10 marks and 10 handballs (119 DKFP) in last season's game against Richmond. May see more midfield minutes.
- Dustin Martin, RFC ($7,500) Plays Midfield and Forward. Was 2nd on the team in goals and kicks in 2019. Coming off 90 DKFP in first game of season.
- Kane Lambert, RFC ($6,100) 59 points in round 1 and should be in mid to high 60's tomorrow
- Tom Lynch, RFC ($5,700) Team leader in goals in 2019
- Brody Mihocek , COFC ($5,500) Flexible player coming off 82 DKFP in round 1.
- Shai Bolton, RFC ($4,600) 3 goals in round 1 which significantly boosted his score to 83 DKFP.
- Chris Mayne, COFC ($4,900) Will be high owned at only $4,900. Scored 94 DKFP in round 1 as he was one of the key players in their win. Dominated RFC both games last season. Consistent.
- Taylor Adams, COFC ($7,200) Should get the biggest boost with Adam Treloar out. Top midfield choice.
- Steele Sidebottom, COFC ($8,000) Had 107 DKFP in round 1.
- Marlion Pickett, RFC ($4,200) Cheap with high potential in a possible new role at pinch ruck
- Tom Phillips, COFC ($6,000) Solid price for player that led team in kicks last year
- Shane Edwards, RFC ($6,400) Quiet in round 1 but capable of putting points on the board
- Jeremy Howe, COFC ($6,300) Popular pick. Coming off 110 DKFP in round 1.
- John Noble, COFC ($5,200) Can be counted on for at least 60 DKFP every match
- Jack Crisp, COFC ($6,900) Led team in marks and second in kicks last season
- Nick Vlaustin, RFC ($5,800)
- David Astbury, RFC ($3,200)
- Sidney Stack, RFC ($4,300) Reasonably priced
- Darcy Cameron, COFC ($2,900) With Mason Cox out Cameron will be up forward- Look for 6-10X value
- Brodie Gundy, COFC ($9,300) Not cheap and played well against RFC last season. Coming off 114 DKFP in round 1. Lock him in.
- Ivan Soldo, RFC ($5,500)
- Toby Nankervis, RFC ($5,000)