Goals (6 pts)
Behind (1 pt)
Kick (3 pts)- They can “drop punt”, “snap” the ball so it goes sideways , “banana” away from the body or a “torpedo” which is like an NFL spiral kick. The ball can also be kicked while on the ground, “soccer off the ground.”
Mark (3 pts)- A completed catch of a ball
Handball (2 pts)- Passing the ball to a teammate with a clenched fist
Ruck- The tallest player, like an NBA center, whose job it is the win ruck contests. Ruck contests are like jump balls in basketball called “ball up”
Defenders- They play against the opposition forward and defend their goal
Midfielders- Possess the ball more than any other player, the playmakers
- Key-Forwards- The tall offensive players. They mark the ball high and kick from all types of angles
- Crumbing-Fowards- Quick and small; avoid tackles to score
- Tackles are key. Good tacklers make up to 10 tackles a game (4 pts apiece)
- The Ruckman that wins the “hit out” or jump ball receives a point. A good Ruckman will win up to 35 “hit outs” a game.
- 90-100 points is an elite score. These usually come from the midfielders.
- Bailey Smith – BUL (6.9K): The Bulldogs have an unstable group of forwards/midfielders that have a wide range of fantasy outcomes. Smith has been the one constant for them since returning from a concussion with 3 straight games of 90+ fantasy points. The production warrants an 8K price tag so let’s take advatage and lock him in.
- Cody Weightman – BUL (2.5K): Making his AFL debut tonight. We have had great success targetting guys for min price making their debuts for a few weeks now. Cody was the 15th overall pick in last years draft and part of the All-australian under 18 champions first team. Lots of hype surrounding this kid and the upside is too good to pass up at this price.
- Orazio Fantasia – ESS (3.7K): Had 19 disposals and 64 fantasy points last week playing the defender position. He was filling in for Mason Redman who will be returning this week which gives me slight pause. However, this is a cheap price to take a shot on for gpp especially if he gets more reps at Defender like the coaches are saying he could.
- Darcy Parish – ESS (5K): Star midfielder Dylan Shiel is suspended for tonights game giving Parish more reps/touches. We got a peak at what Parish could do last week with more time on the field responding with 72 fps and 21 disposals. This is a no brainer play and he should end up being fairly popular at this price.
- Andrew McGrath – ESS (7K): Showed out last week with 25 disposals and 8 tackles. His fantasy point total has gone up every week and faces a defense that is very generous to his position. This play will likely fly under the radar a bit with all the other midfield options, but McGrath is a bonafide stud. He is a core play as far as I’m concerned.
- Devon Smith – ESS(6.7K): As you can see I’m very high on the underdogs Essendon tonight and think they’re going to put up major points win or lose. Smith also benefits from Shiel being out. He is a prolific tackler with 26 in 6 games and should continue to be a solid source of points from that category.
- Michael Hurley – ESS (5.2K): Double digit disposals in every game this season and gets to face a team that gives up the 5th most points to defenders.
- Laitham Vandermeer – BUL (4.8K): Returned from a concussion last week with a 72 fantasy point game. Contributes in multiple categories and has a safe floor for his sub 5k price.
- Jordan Ridley – ESS (6.3K): Week after week nobody talks about Ridley but he just keeps putting up 75-80 fps. He gets little respect for a guy with 87 disposals and 9 tackles in only 6 games.
- Tim English – BUL (7K): I’m calling a ceiling game for the young Ruck tonight. His opposing Ruck Andrew Phillips gives up the 4th most fantasy points in the league to the position which makes him a no brainer tonight. He will be highly owned but we need to just eat the chalk and beat the competition elsewhere.
Core Plays: Andrew McGrath, Darcy Parish, Bailey Smith